About This Site
©2000 Emory University. Permission is granted to download, transmit, or otherwise reproduce, distribute or display the contributions to the work claimed by Emory University for non-profit educational purposes, provided that the site is credited: Courtesy of "The Civil War in America from the Illustrated London News": A Joint Project by Sandra J. Still, Emily E. Katt, Collection Management, and the Beck Center of Emory University.
For inquiries about commercial uses, contact the Lewis H. Beck Center, Woodruff Library, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322.
In addition to the contributions of the editors, Sandra Still and Emily Katt, many members of the staff of the Beck Center have contributed to this project, digitizing, proofreading, encoding, spell checking and designing the site. Thanks are also due to the staff of the Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library for support in copying the articles for digitizing.
- Project Managers: Chuck Spornick, Alice Hickcox
- Site Design: Katherine Ellison
- Programming Support: Rebecca Sutton Koeser, Tavishi Bhasin
- Image Capture: Jeff Massey and Sandra Still
- Digitizing, proofing and encoding: Scott Ellis, Britney Cooper, Stacy Brook, Robin Conner, Brendan Corcoran, Ahmed Abdel Meguid, Sprice Dean
The images were captured using the library's Phase One PowerPhase FX camera. The images are stored as 300 dpi tiffs, and displayed as jpeg images and gif thumbnails.
The text is stored in an eXist database, and retrieved using queries managed by PHP, XSLT and CSS. The site is harvested by an OAI harvester to produce Dublin Core records for each article.